64. Alexander Pushkin House Museum

Alexander Pushkin lived and died in St. Petersburg during the early 19th century. It seems that he is still one of the most beloved authors in Russia, and certainly was at the time of his death. His final residence in the city - across the Moyka River to the east of the General Staff building - has been turned into a memorial museum. The crowds here significantly outpaced those at the Dostoevsky House Museum, both of which I visited on a summertime weekend afternoon. Almost all the visitors here were on group tours with Russian-language docents, with only a few non-Russian speakers such as myself taking advantage of the audio guides.

Pushkin died as the result of injuries sustained in a duel, and the major focus of the museum is on the events surrounding his death. Artifacts on display include a set of dueling pistols from the era, the blood-stained waistcoat he wore during the duel, his death mask, and the final letter he wrote before he left his house for his meeting with destiny. During his last moments he was able to gasp "Goodbye, my friends", addressed to his impressive book collection; fitting last words for a literary titan.

The morbid focus is due in part to the museum's founding very shortly following his death. But the museum is also a great way to learn about middle class life during the 1830s. All the furnishings, art on the walls, and miscellaneous objects were his and his family's actual possessions. The home is still set up in its original configuration. Pushkin's library/study in particular had me drooling; I would love a space like that in my house.

I read one of Pushkin's short stories earlier this summer (and wrote a brief review here). I enjoyed "The Queen of Spades" and it was an accessible introduction to his work. I intend to read one of his best-known works "Eugene Onegin" later this year in my quest to familiarize myself with Russian literature while residing in St. Petersburg.
















Comments

Popular Posts