118. Smoke & Fire festival

Even though autumn's arrival has brought a crispness to the air, outdoor festivals are still popping up in various spots around St. Petersburg. The Smoke & Fire 2017 festival showed up last weekend just across the street from Tolstoy House, in the parking light in front of my grocery store on Rubinshteyna Ulitsa. It was on the route from the nearest Metro station to my apartment, so of course I walked through several times.

The Smoke & Fire Festival focused on everything BBQ - six or seven food trucks and grilling stations, vendors selling jarred sauces and fresh produce, a butcher booth, and a stage for cooking demonstrations and lectures (known as the "meat academy"). During the seven or eight years that I followed a vegetarian diet (which ended when I moved to Russia), barbecue was the meat-based cuisine that I missed more than any other, so it was nice to walk around and enjoy the smell of sizzling ribs, brisket, and shish-kebab. I stopped by the festival for dinner on Saturday and Sunday. The first day I tried the pork tacos, and the second night I enjoyed pork shashlik. Neither was earth-shattering, but both were solid "street-food" barbecue dishes.











Comments

Popular Posts